Tuesday, April 05, 2005

 

AOTGA - Act 5

After Father G was baptized with the Holy Spirit, I knew his church was the one God wanted me to attend. The pastors of the Pentecostal church I had joined were distressed. My impression was that they thought anyone who would go from a Pentecostal church to an Episcopal church would ultimately end in hell. Although they were very kind, nothing I said convinced them. I was concerned because I liked them, and I asked God to justify my decision to them. He did, but He took His time about it. Two years later the pastor telephoned at the request of the head of his worldwide denomination, who had discovered that the pastor knew me. They wanted me to be a speaker at their triennial international convention.

Meanwhile, the situation in Los Angeles was difficult. But despite the difficulties God didn't give up. Paul Castle heard that the Rev. Gordon S, an Episcopal priest in central Californial, had publicly stated he had been baptized in the Spirit. We invited him to a meeting. He came early but before the group gathered we talked. It became clear to me that he really had not had the experience we were discussing. It is hard to imagine myself saying what I did. I said, "Father, you have received so much that I'm sure God wants to give you this gift as well. If you will kneel down, Father Sherwood and I will lay hands on you and pray." Father Sherwood was astonished -- as was I -- to hear myself making such a statement. Later the priest told me he was furious and decided that whatever happened, nothing was going to make him open his mouth and speak. Father Sherwood and I prayed with him and he began to speak in tongues so loudly that we had to close the windows!

Gordon was originally from Canada. He wrote to a friend about his experience. The result was that several people came from Canada for the sole purpose of receiving the gift of the Spirit. And did. However, his brother, an Anglican monk, came for another purpose. He came to expose us. God filled hthe monk with the Holy Spirit, and renewal began in a cathedral in Canada.

More priests became empowered by the Holy Spirit in Gordon's diocese. At a Diocesan Convention the Rev. Robert Harvey couldn't stand hearing them talk about it any longer without getting into the action, and asked Gordon to take him to a prayer meeting. Another older priest came with them. We had our regular Wednesday morning prayer meeting, during which one priest celebrated the Eurcharist. I looked at Father Harvey and he had that look on his face. In the middle of the Communion service, I asked him if he would like to receive the Holy Spirit. He said he would. Paul Castle and several priests prayed for him, and immediately he received the most fabulous language of worship and praise.

The older priest who had come with them hadn't really been interested, but when he saw this wonderful thing happen to Bob Harvey, whom he considered a first-rate Christian, he also wanted the gift. When Paul explained it to him, however, he changed his mind. Finally he decided that he would speak Greek (the other priests were in another room praying by this time) and we would think he was speaking in tongues and let him alone and he wouldn't hurt our feelings. He began to speak in Greek. I don't know Greek, but God showed me it wasn't from Him. I said, "You know that language, don't you?" He gave me a funny look and left. Later we heard that he was afraid that he had offended God, since it was obvious God hadn't allowed us to be fooled. He realized then that it wasn't fun and games but very real. He begged God's forgiveness, and on the way home God filled him with the Holy Spirit.

A Lutheran pastor telephoned me; he wished to discuss the outpouring of the Spirit. He was happy about what had happened to us. But for himself, he didn't choose to speak in tongues. He was sure that he had the gift of the Spirit without that. We couldn't settle the thing between us and our discussions were becoming tense. Finally I told God that I couldn't get anywhere with him and that if the pastor telephoned again God was going to have to tell me what to say. He did. The next time the pastor invited me over to talk I was ready. When we got onto the sticky subject, "Do you have to speak in tongues to be filled with the Holy Spirit?" I said, "You look like a man filled with the Spirit. Let's make a test. You receive a spiritual language today and use it with an open mind in your private prayers for six months. At the end of that time if you tell me you were baptized with the Spirit before you spoke in tongues, I promise you I will never again tell anyone speaking in tongues is a necessary accompaniment." He replied, "That's fair enough." We prayed. He spoke in tongues and said, "Is that what it is? I've been doing that ever since I was in college."

It appeared to me that one woman spent most of her time causing me trouble. It was she who had begun the controversy when Father G received the Spirit and now she discovered the Lutheran pastor had a prayer language and problems were beginning again. I told God I had had enough -- that since I had received the Holy Spirit most of my days were spent in the wilderness and even Christ Himself had only forty days there. I told Him I would go to church and pray but I was through telling anyone about the Holy Spirit.

The telephone rang. It was the Lutheran pastor. He said, "Jean, the first person in my church is ready to receive the gift of the Spirit if you will come and pray with her." It was as though God were saying, "Well, Jean, what are you going to do now?" I stubbornly said, "I won't be able to. I'm too busy." The pastor ignored me and continued speaking as if he hadn't been interrupted. "Her name is Mrs. Pentecost--" It was just as though God were laughing at me. What a delightful sense of humor He must have. There was nothing for me to do but chuckle and make an appointment to go and pray with Mrs. Pentecost.

Our Wednesday mornign prayer group was small, we were close, and it was wonderful. We prayed, read the Bible, talked and had lunch together. The prayer was effective -- almost shockingly so. Sometimes our intercessions would be granted instantly. It was very exciting and the companionship was comforting and stimulating. Many people were both physically and mentally healed due to the prayer from that small group. Years later I found the same kind of warmth and love in a meeting we began in Hong Kong. The group in Hong Kong is now about fifteen groups and many people have seen their lives rejuvenated because of the prayers of the participants.

But back to 1961. One day I was washing the dishes and the thought came to me, "We need a tract telling about the power of the Holy Spirit." It was almost as though a little voice inside me said, "Write it."

"Yes," I thought, "That's a good idea. On Wednesday I'll ask everyone what they think about it. If they like the idea we can choose a subject, find a writer for the tract, and raise some money to print it." The small soundless voice said, "You write it." I was aware of the fact that I wasn't capable of writing anything, but I sat down to the typewriter and wrote a tract entitled, "Have Ye Received the Holy Ghost Since Ye Believed?" which, incidentally, sold hundreds of thousands of copies. When it was written, the same feeling came that I should take it to a printer. It didn't make any sense to me, since I didn't have any money, but when it was time to pick up the tracts from the printer I had the $45 needed.

The two thousand copies vanished like ice cream in the sunshine. Everyone wanted one. When they were all gone, the nudge came that I should write another. When this one was written, I thought five thousand of each should be printed. The bill would be $145. It seemed like a fortune. When it came time for delivery, I was still short $55. I prayed about it and it was as though God said, "Call Joan Baker." I told God I wasn't going to do that -- that Joan didn't have any money, either. And besides that it was a toll call. Something happened to me then that has never happened before or since. It was as though the presence of God was withdrawn for that brief moment, and it frightened me. I said, "I'll call her." But I added, "However, I'm not going to mention the money." I telephoned Joan and we chatted while the message units ticked up. Finally Joan said, "By the way, my sister, Libby, says she has $40 tithe money for your tract if you want it --"

I reminded the Lord I was still short $15. "Call Paul Castle." No argument this time. We talked. He asked how the tracts were coming along. I told him they were finished, but we didn't have enough money. He told me to wait a minute while he looked in the tithe envelope. He came back to the telephone and said there was $10 in it to use for the tracts. I said, "Wonderful, now we only need $5." Dead silence. Then he spoke in a disgusted tone, "I had $5 I knew I was supposed to give you last Wednesday for the printing, but I wanted to keep it. It's in my billfold."

Our next mad venture was a booklet. This one cost $450 to print -- and our resources were as thin as they had been in the beginning. I was in Montana holding two preaching missions in Episcopal churches to tell them about the Holy Spirit, when a letter came from the treasurer of our new society. She wrote that the bill had come for the printing and there were only $50 in the treasury. I got down on my knees and said, "Lord, it's Your business. I know You'll take care of it." I went down to breakfast, and the priest in whose house I was staying looked up with a puzzled expression and said, "Jean, the Lord said to give you $400. I don't know what for." I knew what for!

And then the day came when I knew we were to publish a magazine. Three of us knew what it looked like and that the name was to be Trinity, but one woman said that when she prayed she "saw" funny little "chicken tracks" that were at the top of the cover and that she had drawn them to show us. Paul took one look at them and shouted, "But that's Greek! 'Logos'. It means Word." And so was conceived a magazine that cost five thousand dollars an issue, caused me much grief, circled the globe, brough so many people to Christ we could never count them, and literally saved at least one woman's life.

Click here for the Table of Contents

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?