Tuesday, April 05, 2005

 

Epilogue 1995

"... These are the ones on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy; and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away." -- Mark 4:16-17 (NASB)

We have added this chapter to share with you some things which were deliberately omitted from the original edition of The Acts of the Green Apples, and to provide a brief update on happenings since it was first published. One important early event was not included in the original edition because many people could not handle how deep this baptism in the Spirit takes you -- if you allow it to. St Paul says these things were not done in a corner, and most of the people I knew in the beginning couldn't even handle that. As we continue you will see what I mean.

An early cohort in the Bless Trinity Society accompanied her husband to Hawaii on a business trip and gave copies of our tracts, "Have Ye Receive the Holy Ghost Since Ye Believed?" and "What Has Happened to the Trinity?" to the Episcopal bishop and his wife. Of course I was delighted, but then she told me she had gone over to a local Assemblies of God church and been baptized in water. My pleasure evaporated. Hawaii being so "small," I was sure this would get back to the bishop and ruin our witness, since this would be seen as baptism into another denomination. But I decided to wait until she returned before I told her what I thought of this strange behavior on her part. We got together after her return, and just as I was raising my finger to scold her the Spirit fell upon me, so I kept quiet. As we talked on, I grew angry again and raised my finger to speak, and again the Spirit fell on me. I thought to myself, "If God isn't angry with her, why should I be?" so I kept my mouth shut about it.

One evening I visited a Foursquare church in Chatsworth. I knew the pastor and had a lot of regard for him. What I didn't know was that they were having a baptism that night. There was soft music playing and about a dozen people in long white robes came out and the pastor baptized them in the baptistry. (I had never seen one before; it's a large tub of water behind a screen behind the choir.) He asked them, "Do you believe Jesus Christ is your Saviour and that He died for you? Are you going to follow Him for the rest of your life?" Then he took them in his arms and quickly plunged them under water and raised them up saying something like, "Because you have given your life to Jesus Christ you will be raised at the last resurrection and never die." It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. One of them came up out of the water quietly praying in tongues. The pastor had baptized her in water but the Lord had baptized her in the Holy Spirit. The minister, as though reading my mind, said "If there is anyone here who has never been properly baptized in water since accepting Jesus as Lord, there are robes in the back and I would be happy to baptize anyone who wants to be." He looked directly at me. All I could think was, "I really would like to do this but the Bishop would kill me."

Later someone told me there was an old priest in Florida who had been baptized in the Spirit for years and knew everything. So I wrote to the Rev William Sherwood and asked him how he felt about baptism by immersion. He wrote back and said he would like to do that sometime as he thought it would give him more power. I immediately suggested he come and visit us, and he was on the next plane. After we got acquainted, I asked if he would immerse me (which is the meaning of the Greek word baptizo), as I had not been baptized since accepting Christ as Saviour. He heartily agreed and I arranged a secret little ceremony in the Rev Harold J Smith's church on a Wednesday afternoon. Then I felt guilty and told a few of my close friends, and they immediately decided to be baptized as well. After all, no one can really make that commitment for you.

On the Monday before our planned baptism, in the midst of organizing another meeting for that evening, the telephone rang. It was Mr Smith. He said, "Jean, I don't feel right about your being baptized secretly. This is your public confession of faith and should be done in front of my congregation Wednesday night." I said, "Nonsense, your people know about believer's baptism. It would make more sense to do it before these 100 Episcopalians at tonight's meeting." (A prominent Episcopalian surgeon was to speak on the subject of unity, which turned out to be most ironic.)

Father Sherwood said, "I don't like what you are saying, Jean, but I am getting a real witness from God that this is what we should do." Mr Smith heard him and said, "I agree, Jean. You should do that tonight." God had been nudging me to talk to Him about this secret Wednesday meeting, but I had arranged the Monday meeting with the speaker and I kept telling God, "I know there is something wrong about the Wednesday meeting and I'll talk to you about it later. Right now I have to make arrangements for this Episcopal meeting tonight. I'll talk to you later about the Wednesday meeting."

Again, Father Sherwood said, "I'm afraid, but I think we should do this." I said, "We will ask the Lord. We will pray for half an hour and then ask the Lord and open the Bible and I'll put my finger on the page and we will expect him to answer our question. No prophecy or tongues and interpretation because we do not want to get our own thinking into this."

We prayed. I shut my eyes and opened the Bible and stuck my finger down on the middle of the page, right on Jesus coming up out of the water after John the Baptist had baptized him. The die was cast.

By this time Father Sherwood had decided to be baptized as well, which prompted my next question: "You're baptizing us, but who is going to baptize you?" Father Sherwood answered, "Brother Smith [a quiet and proper Pentecostal minister we all loved dearly] can baptize me." I said, "Your Bishop would probably have you defrocked. We will have to do better than that." Father Sherwood suggested, "Maybe that Episcopalian priest from up north you invited to the meeting." I replied, "He probably isn't coming as he has a confirmation class tonight."

As we pondered this I called the Assemblies of God church where the Episcopal meeting was to be held and asked them to fill the baptistry. He said they couldn't because it had a hole in it. Not knowing anything about baptistries I reiterated that they had to fill it as we were having a baptism at the meeting. He said it was completely impossible as the hole was so large the water ran right through it. Even I gave up on that -- actually with a good deal of relief. So I said, "You see, Lord, there's nothing I can do."

I got the yellow pages and went over all the Pentecostal churches. I knew that any of them would be delighted to have us use their facilities, but at every one it was as though the Lord said, "No." Finally I said to Father Sherwood, "I know a girl who goes to a non-denominational church. I wonder if it has a baptistry." Just then the telephone rang -- it was the young woman just mentioned. I asked, "Do you have a baptistry in your church?"

"Yes."

"Do you think Mr Stiles would lend it to us?"

"I should think so -- call and ask him."

She gave me the number and I telephoned the church. The man answering said there was no way I could reach the Rev Jack Stiles for three weeks; he and his family were on vacation and absolutely no one knew where. So I had to give up. I said, "If you should hear from him today..." He interrupted, saying he was sure he wouldn't. I continued, "Please ask him to call Jean Stone," and I left my telephone number. He said he would write it down but reiterated that Mr Stiles would not be heard from.

Within ten minutes the telephone rang. It was Mr Stiles. I related our situation and asked if we might rent his church for the evening and use the baptistry. He answered, "No ... but you may use the church free of charge." I insisted on paying. (I found out why later: people have tried to claim we were baptized into another denomination, but this was a non-denominational church which we had rented for the evening.) So Mr Stiles allowed us to pay $15 to cover utilities and we were in business. It was all moving too fast to please either Father Sherwood or me.

The telephone rang. It was the priest from up north. He said, "Here I am in Los Angeles -- where do I go now?" I suggested he come and have tea with us; then, before hanging up, I asked, "Father Gordon, how do you feel about baptism by immersion?" He answered in a formal tone, "I feel very strongly about the sacraments of the Episcopal Church." I looked up toward heaven and inwardly asked, "Lord, why did you send him?" Then, in a more normal voice, he added, "However, I would be happy to baptize anyone by immersion who wishes to be."

So Father Gordon came to tea. He told us about his experiences with the Lord, including seeing a cross in the sky, and that he was baptized in the Spirit. He definitely was converted, but I felt the Lord was saying he was not baptized in the Spirit. I went into the bedroom and prayed, and felt more definitely about it than before. I then asked, "Father Gordon, have you ever spoken in tongues?" He replied that he had not received that particular gift.

Now in those days we laity (at least in my circles) treated priests almost like God Himself. But I found myself saying, "Father Gordon, if you will get down on your knees there by the coffee table, Father Sherwood and I will pray for you, for the Lord wants to give you this gift as well." We gently touched our hands to his head and quietly asked God to baptize him in the Spirit, and to give him a new language for prayer and praise.

Father Gordon told us later that he was absolutely furious with us, and that he clamped his jaws tightly together, determined to say nothing at all. Almost immediately, however, he began to speak loudly in a wonderfully complete and beautiful language. There was no question in anyone's mind that it was from God. In fact, he prayed so loudly that I ran around the house and closed the windows so the neighbors wouldn't hear. As soon as Father Gordon was baptized in the Spirit he wanted believer's baptism by immersion; so he and Father Sherwood agreed to baptize each other.

Meeting time finally arrived. Now neither priest had ever seen a baptismal ceremony anywhere but in the Episcopal Church. In the water, trapped air caused their robes to billow around them, which would have been funny if we had not all been so seriously involved at the time. I tell you frankly, we thought we must do this because it was scriptural. But we were very nervous, and terrified of the heirarchy of the Church; for many of us, God was by far the most important part of our lives and we saw God and our Church as one.

But back to the mad tea party. The priests had never seen anyone baptized other than by filling a small silver shell, pouring it three times over the baby and saying first, "I baptize you in the name of the Father," second, "In the name of the Son," and third, "In the name of the Holy Ghost." We had been tipped off, by someone who knew, to hold our noses, because we would be quickly plunged backward, face up, under the water. Ah, but in our case it was different. First, they immersed us in the name of the Father, then in the name of the Song, and then in the name of the Holy Ghost. And then, when we thought that was it, they immersed us again in the name of Jesus of Nazareth. If they had invoked the Saints I fear we would have been drowned! We must have been the wettest Episcopalians ever. We changed clothes and moved to the congregation and it was a nightmare.

Many people were upset and angered and, ignoring the rest of the service, were making openly critical and disruptive comments, such as, "We don't do this in our church!" and, "This is a slap in the face of the Episcopal Church!" Others, meanwhile, had been touched, and they came forward, put on robes and were baptized as well.

At some point during all this, Dr Robert Frost wandered in. (This was when he was a biology professor at Westmont, before he became a prominent speaker and writer in the charismatic movement.) The baptisms by immersion would seem normal to him as he was a Baptist. I sat in the pew miserably wet and bedraggled, with most of the people there angry at me, and Dr Frost began to prophesy. I don't remember it all -- I only remember, "My Daughter, I have seen your sacrifice and I am well pleased." To this day, just telling it makes me feel like weeping. If I had pleased the Lord it was all worth it.

The clincher to the story is that the Rev Dennis Bennett had left a guidance committee to keep those of us baptized in the Spirit in line. They were all men, of course, but not all actually believed in the risen Lord. The ones available to go made an appointment with the bishop and went to see him the next day. After hearing the story, I am told, he asked only one question: "Was Jean Stone baptized?" I was told the idea was that he would excommunicate me and it would all end. The miracle is that, although I was the second one baptized and was dripping water wherever I went that night, not one of them could remember if I had been baptized!

We turn now to another episode from the early days, one which is less edifying to recount, but which taught me a lesson that has proved most valuable over the years. It also answers the often-asked question: "What happened to Trinity?"

When the magazine was in its heyday, I was warned in a dream regarding an unscrupulous individual who would destroy the work. I was awakened from this dream by the alarm clock on the very morning he was to begin working for the Society. I was very young in the Spirit, naive enough to tell the subject individual about the dream, and stupid enough to be talked out of believing it. I had not done a background check.

This ultimately led to the Society going into bankruptcy and giving everything material it owned to worthy Christian works in need. As the Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements (Burgess and McGee 1988) states: "the cessation of Trinity magazine ... was linked to financial troubles outside of Stone's control ..." The dream had come true: the magazine was destroyed.

In spite of this failure on my part, God was not finished with us, as is clearly illustrated in the rest of this book. There was the inevitable fallour, but we did not have the time to dwell on it. Perhaps David du Plessis summarized the situation most aptly when he and the Bishop of Singapore stayed with us in Hong Kong. After seeing the work there first hand, David observed that the Lord Himself had answered our critics through the fruitful ministry that was manifested there; and that no one could honestly state that God was not with us.

As for myself, I definitely took the lesson to heart, and by listening to such warnings from the Lord we have subsequently avoided a number of potential disasters. For example, a missionary who ran an orphanage visited our meeting; he seemed to be quite committed and gave impressive testimonies of God's guidance and provision. Yet, without any identifiable reason, I began to feel a strong aversion to the man. After much prayer, the feeling only intensified, until we finally requested that he not return. We lost some friends over this, and even some financial support. However, it eventually came to light that the man had been sexually abusing the orphans, had fled to the Phillippines with a fourteen year-old boy, and was permanently banned from returning to Hong Kong.

At times I wonder what would have happened if I had heeded God's warning concerning Trinity in the beginning. Would we still have gone to the Far East for 14 years, brought thousands to Jesus, and thousands more into the baptism in the Spirit there? Would ITV (and the British television network) have made a documentary on our work with Jackie Pullinger, getting addicts off years of heroin with no pain through becoming Christians and praying in the Holy Spirit? Would we have gone to China and brought people to Jesus and the baptism in the Spirit in the very stronghold of anti-Christianity? (One clever Chinese disciple wrote to us -- knowing the letter would be censored -- thanked us for teaching him "the new language," and assured us that he was practicing it diligently. Of course the censors would think he was referring to English!)

Would our work and witness have been featured in People Magazine, Time Magazine and newspapers and books in many parts of the world? Would I still have appeared in Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in the Commonwealth, Who's Who in Religion, Who's Who in American Women, etc?

Of course, we will probably not be given the answers to these questions before we reach the Kingdom. However, in the meantime, we would like to make a small offer of restitution to those of you who had unfulfilled subscriptions to Trinity. If you will send us your name, subscription address and current address, we will send you, without charge, a beautiful new copy of the classic As At the Beginning by Michael Harper. This offer will of course remain open only as long as supplies last.

Some things were left out of the original Green Apples because I felt they were my private business. However, in a personal conversation some years later, Rechard Quebedeaux, author of The New Charismatics, expressed the view that I should have included an account of the dissolution of my marriage to Donald Stone. Over the years, other friends and supporters have similarly urged me to "clear the air" on this. While I still believe the subject did not belong in the original edition, this may well be the time to go on the record concerning it.

So, to please Mr Quebedeaux et al, I will state briefly that Don Stone left home for a life of whiskey and women and all that goes with it. My friends wanted me to go into more detail concerning his behavior prior to leaving. But the only really relevant points, scripturally speaking, are that he had affairs with numerous women, eventually left, and filed for divorce (on grounds of incompatibility). The judge very sympathetically gave me the divorce along with alimony and child support which, but for a few times, was never paid. Mr Stone remarried as soon as the divorce was final.

During the period before he left, two lovely missionary ladies from Tulsa came to a chapel meeting and asked to speak with me privately. They said they had a message from the Lord for me. I doubted it -- I had met too many odd people. I kept them standing inside the door of my office and I coldly stood and listened. They looked embarrassed and finally one said, "Our problem is we don't know if you know what your husband is doing." I said, "I know." I had not even told my best friend, Joan Baker, because if he straightened up I did not want anyone to know the way he had behaved.

They looked relieved and said, "God said to tell you that if he does not repent of his evil ways God will do a quick work and a short work and that you are to pray for him." Without another word they left and I never saaw them again. However, their prophecy came true: in a few years he had a serious heart attack and, a month later, a fatal one. I like to think God gave him a month in which to change.

After the divorce, Gail Castle (Paul's daughter, who was my housekeeper at the time), Joan Baker and my assistant editor did everything they could to dry my tears. Finally, the assistant editor, Richard Willans by name, said, "You're a free woman now. I'll take you to dinner tonight." It was pleasant. We had a nice dinner, went to a family movie and talked a lot. This continued until I told him he was too young to waste his time with me -- he should find some sweet young thing and marry her. I said that certainly I was not going to stay single forever. (My freedom to remarry was scripturally clear: Mr Stone was an unbeliever, an adulterer, had left on his own and initiated the divorce. I later discussed this with Dr Carl Henry, who agreed with this conclusion.)

Rick saw my point about our age difference, but said he had more fun with me. I had fun with him as well. We could take hours just sorting out a Bible passage. As time passed, our close friendship became something much deeper; and when the interlocutory decree was final we surprised ourselves by getting married -- more surprised than we thought, as you will see in Rick's account in the last segment of this book, "A Husband's Afterword."

Just a few weeks after our first anniversary came the dramatic calling to China described at the end of Act IX. The rest, as they say, is history, only some of which is related in the remainder of the Acts and this Epilogue. Much of it, including details of our trips into China so far, will have to await a sequel, and one is in progress -- the working title is Green Apples II. I will only give a few sketches here, along with updates on some of the people you have met in this book.

Out of that first group Hugh Jagger brought to our house to hear about the Holy Spirit, several have become ministers; and other, though not called to "the cloth," are continuing as active witnesses of our Lord.

Hugh went to university in England, and had graduated and begun working when our daughter Suzy was accepted at Occidental College in California. She went early by way of London to see friends, including Hugh -- or rather, especially Hugh. Love had already begun to blossom, beginning the prior Easter. They now each decided that they had found "the one," and that it did not make sense to wait four years. They were married in an Anglican Church in Hong Kong by Stephen Sidebotham. The church was full of flowers, Rick gave the bride away and we sang such glorious songs as "We are family, We are one." There were gifts of the Spirit and it was a beautiful service.

They have lived in London since. Hugh is a partner in an international professional firm; Suzy has ministered and witnessed to many as a singer, song-writer, and playwright; and we have three gorgeous blonde, blue-eyed grandchildren who think Grandma is the greatest cook ever (which goes over big!).

For a number of years Suzy and Hugh were members of a charismatic church near London; they lived in community for a year and Hugh was a co-pastor. We visited several times. Suzy was very subdued in church, but they tell us that every few weeks or so she would quietly bring a bomb of a prophecy that would cause many to repent and change their ways. The church finally split over doctrine, I think; among other things, the pastor decided serious Christians were full of demons -- certainly a dangerous and unscriptural conclusion.

Sarah Searcy, another early member of SNAG in Hong Kong, was in Los Angeles when we returned from our first "tour of duty" -- her father had been transferred there as the Australian Consul General. She accompanied us when we returned to Hong Kong; and when, to our surprise more than anyone's, we were led into working with drug addicts, she played a major part in that ministry. The full story will have to await Green Apples II.

To summarize, in a five-year period we took in over 100 addicts who confessed Christ and received the fullness of the Spirit; and every single one of them came off heroin cold turkey by praying in tongues -- no sickness, no nausea, no pain. This drew both local and international coverage, as mentioned above (Time, People, etc.); and our prayer group even appeared on Hong Kong television -- with clear, specific testimony, prophetic gifts and all -- in a documentary produced by the government. We could not keep count of those who came, saw, received, and took forth the news of what God can do; certainly many thousands more received the good news through all the media coverage.

Geoff Craighead, a former Australian Rules footballer, came to Hong Kong. He was already converted and had felt he should go to Hong Kong although he didn't really know why. He came and received the Holy Spirit, and then stayed to help with the drug addicts. Several years later Sarah Searcy and Geoff were married (surprisingly they had both been born in Melbourne, Australia). Rick performed the ceremony and the Bishop gave the blessing. There were many gifts of the Spirit.

During this time, Rick was also "making tents" at a British firm (the Hong Kong office of Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.) and was eligible for paid six-week home leaves. Following Geoff and Sarah's wedding, we went with them and Suzy and Hugh to the place in Mexico where we had spent our honeymoon. We had a splendid time, even though the curtains had rotted and the spout on the bathtub had corroded away. The grunion were running so that made everything okay. Hugh was the champion grunion catcher. For some reason, however, honeymooners Sarah and Geoff seemed to have no interest in spending their evenings chasing grunion.

In 1981, although the spiritual action continued (and we were prospering materially as well -- Rick had made partner), we both felt strongly that it was time to return to the US. Geoff and Sarah felt called to come with us. We left Toby and Florence Littlewood in charge of the Hong Kong work. They had met as volunteer workers there; were married in a typical Society of Stephen-style charismatic wedding service; and had clearly grown to a pastoral level of wisdom and leadership. They were assisted by other mature, responsible disciples, such as Rachel and Edmund Lau, Alfred and Peggy Mak, and Clara Wong. And since Toby was assigned to China by his employer, these others have carried the leadership and administration of the work in Hong Kong.

Jackie Pullinger continues her ministry in evangelism and travels extensively. She married John Lau, an ex-gang member who is converted and filled with the Spirit, and they run their work with the drug addicts together.

Geoff and Sarah now have two children and live five minutes away from us. Others from the Hong Kong group are also now with us in the church that meets in our home, including Peter Chak, one of the ex-addicts. We fellowship and pray together daily, and have meetings twice a week.

Two other members of our "core group" here are Stephen Lo (Florence Littlewood's brother), who attended university in the US, and by God's grace gained permanent residence; and his college roommate, Allen Greaves, a Southern Baptist minister's son and a gifted musician. After graduating and starting life as wage-earners, they began to think seriously about marriage. Both had met plenty of girls who wanted to get married, but none who seemed to share their priority of living New Testament Christianity. It so happened that two young women in our Hong Kong fellowship -- Mei Chan and Lorraine Yip -- were in similar situations. So began two rounds of trans-Pacific matchmaking and courtship, culminating in two more joyful, Spirit-filled weddings: first Stephen and Mei and then Allen and Lorraine.

A word about our teaching on courtship and marriage, which we try to convey as friends as well as second parents, and not as religious authority figures. Of course the essential foundation is a shared faith in the full gospel of Jesus. The couple are encouraged to really get to know each other and build a close personal friendship; and they are expected to be celibate until marriage. Therefore, they date in groups, but are given "space" to talk intimately, to be alone but not alone. We talk at length about how they must treat one another, from basic courtesy to communication to expressing affection and self-giving -- practical application of Ephesians 5:22-33.

And finally, we talk about sex, in detail -- I, with the bride-to-be, and Rick, with the groom -- emphasizing that both husband and wife are entitled to sexual fulfillment -- again, practical application of I Corinthians 7:3-5. (Before we did such thorough counseling, one couple called us in a panic while on their honeymoon: they knew the basics, but were having a "geographical" problem.) At this writing, we can gratefully report that ll the marriages in our church here are solid, growing, and truly happy.

These couples are of course raising their children in the knowledge of the Lord. In fact, up to now, all the children here have received Christ and the fullness of the Spirit by the age of five, although none are pressured to do so. They are unusually clear on the basics of the faith, considering their tender years, and demonstrate that it's a living faith day to day.

And now some updates on other old friends. Joan and John Baker, the parents of the charismatic movement, have moved to the desert. (Do you suppose people are still encouraging their friends to "go into the kitchen with John"?) It was they who led Dennis Bennett, over a series of visits to their home, to an understanding of baptism in the Spirit. He finally asked to receive, "but without the tongues," which brought their memorable reply: "But you see, Father, that comes with the package." I wonder where we'd all be today if they had backed off and said something like, "Okay, Father, we'll just have a quiet word of prayer and accept by faith that the Spirit has come upon you in power."

Loraine Ewart, who handled the stateside finances while we were in Asia, continues to serve on the Society's board. She still lives in Van Nuys, feeds stray kittens and tells people about Jesus.

Harald Bredesen, one of the original Board of Members of the Blessed Trinity Society (he travelled for us "indefatigably," as Christianity Today put it, carrying the newly discovered power of the Christian message to churches and and campuses) now lives with his wife Gen in Escondido, California, where he heads Charisma Ministries and still travels indefatigably.

Dr Herbert F Mitchell, previously head of the Operational Computing Branch at the Goddard Space Flight Center, and his wife Mary Charlotte, have move to a retirement home in Florida. Dr Mitchell kindly took Trinity Chapel off our hands and earned our grateful thanks. Mary Charlotte was one of our first volunteer workers -- I wish we had her back. I wish we had them both back!

Paul and Wilma Castle, who were in the original outpouring in Van Nuys, now live in Soulsbyville. Paul writes and also publishes books. Their daughter Gail, who was with us in Hong Kong, married Christopher Harrison, a British soldier who was converted in our meeting there. (It was another wedding with signs following, which resulted in the conversion of a waiter at the reception.) They now live in Northern California (not far from Paul and Wilma), where Chris is a Sheriff's Deputy. They have two handsome children.

Our primary reason for reprinting The Acts of the Green Apples is that more people have been converted and/or filled with the Holy Spirit through reading it than anything else we have ever published. This will be its fourth printing and we are still receiving responses like the following from Amanda, the 14 year-old daughter of David Aikman (formerly of Time Magazine), who writes, "PS I want to thank you for writing The Acts of the Green Apples, which has blessed me greatly. It contributed greatly to my desire to be baptized in the Spirit, which was fulfilled last January. Thank you, Lord!" Amanda has gone to Hong Kong for the summer with Teen Mania to participate in an evangelistic drama performed in hospitals, jails and everywhere they are invited.

One day I answered the telephone to a lady asking for Jean Stone Willans. I said, "You have her." She repeated very distinctly that she was trying to find Jean Stone WIllans and she couldn't seem to believe she had actually found her. Someone had given her a copy of Green Apples; she had read it through twice and tried to call everyone mentioned in the book, trying to track me down. She had finally gotten my number from Dr Casdorph in Long Beach. The unusual thing was he had only had it for about a week. He had written to us at the Post Office Box asking for it so he could come to a meeting.

The importunate lady came and received the Holy Spirit. In converstaion she noted my mention of St Theresa of Avila's day being on my birthday, and asked the date. When I answered, "October 3rd," she exclaimed, "Why, that's my birthday, too!" She must have perceived a look of doubt (remember, we've had some strange ones), because she demonstrated the fact by showing me her driver's license.

One odd thing: about a month before, Rick had helped this same lady into her car with her walker. I said, "Give her a Green Apples." Rick did and as we drove away he asked, "Did you put our telephone number inside the cover?" I hadn't. He said, "Suppose she reads the book and decides she wants the baptism in the Holy Spirit, how do you expect her to find you?" I answered, "God will send someone to her." Little did I know it would be me!

Today I received this from a nurse named Debbie:

"Dear Jean: Thank you so much for your obedience to the voice of the SPirit of God when He instructed you to write the book The Acts of the Green Apples. God changed my life beginning with the ministry of this book.

"from 1976 to 1982, I was in tremendous bondage to prescription drugs and alcohol, particularly alcohol. I drank every night until I was drunk. My parents were frantic and finally, when they had come to their wits' end, told me that I needed to find a place of my own. It was there, in the emptiness of my own apartment that I finally hit bottom. I felt completely alone and completely desolate inside. I tried to go back to the church I grew up in to get absolution from the priest. But no amount of absolution could remove this burden from me. I was beaten and lost. So in November of '92, I began to attend AA meetings. At the same time, I was continuing to work as a nurse at a local hospital. And there was one particularly likeable patient that I was working with named Madeleine Duncan. We became friends. And when she was discharged, she gave me a goodbye present, a book entitled The Acts of the Green Apples. She pointed out to me that the book had been dedicated to her and her husband. Well, I thanked her very much, took the book home, and promptly put it in the bottom of a drawer, where it stayed for the next two years.

"During those two years, I continued to attend AA meetings. I became, in a sense, "addicted" to them. I would attend one, sometimes two meetings a day, because this was the only place in which I felt safe. My life revolved around AA and even the man I dated and eventually moved in with was from AA. But after two years I realized that there was still an emptiness deep inside -- I still feared that I would drink again as I continued to have an urge to drink. It was at this time that the relationship with the man I was living with turned sour, and I decided to move back in with my parents. But as I was packing my bags, I again uncovered the book The Acts of the Green Apples. And this time -- in desperation -- I read it. I was so encouraged and excited about the things that I was reading about that I knew I just had to find out more about it. I was hopeful -- yet full of questions -- 'What is this Holy Spirit thing? Could it be for me?' Madeleine Duncan had written her phone number on the inside cover of the book and I began to debate if I should call her. The following morning, as I was working at the hospital, I was asked to assist another nurse with a patient. As I entered the patient's room, she sat up in bed, and a broad smile spread across her face. She reached out her arms toward me and said, "Debbie! I'm so glad to see you. When I fell I told them to bring me here because I had to see you.' I don't think she realized she was speaking from the Lord. I walked over to her and as she reached to embrace me, I was able to see clearly the name on her patient ID bracelet. I blinked twice because I couldn't believe my eyes. It read, 'Madeleine Duncan.'

"During her hospital stay, Madeleine ministered to me in a far greater way than I could ever have ministered to her. It was there beside her hospital bed that I first prayed to receive Jesus into my heart as my Lord and Saviour. It was also there that I first received the baptism in the Spirit. At first it was only one syllable which I repeated over and over and over again. It felt so freeing. Madeleine also introduced me to another nurse named Theresa Engle who helped me become free in the Spirit. During that time, as I prayed in my spiritual language, I could sense that those chains that had bound me for so long were just dropping off. I no longer had the urge to drink. Much of the fear and anxiety I experienced simply fell away. And best of all, that deep dark emptiness in my heart disappeared. I was filled with hope and joy. What release! What freedom!

"About a week later the man that I had lived with called me to tell me that he'd had an incredible experience at a church that he had visited. Not only had he given his life to the Lord, but he had been blessed with a special spiritual language. I invited him to my new church, and after about a year of counseling and taking time to develop our relationship with the Lord, we were married. Now, after nine years, we have three beautiful children, 8, 5, and 3. We have been part of the same church since 1984, and now lead a small prayer group much like the one I visited [ours] when I first received the gift of God's Holy Spirit. I also sing on our worship team because I have so much to worship him for. I can hardly imagine what my life might have been like if I had never been touched by the ministry of a small paperback book called The Acts of the Green Apples.

"So, in conclusion, to the reader I just want to say that I no longer believe in coincidence, but I do believe in the sovereignty of God. You see, God is never surprised -- I don't believe that He stands around up in Heaven scratching his beard, and wondering what will happen next. I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each and every one of us. I don't believe that His plan for me began when I picked up a little paperback book but I do believe it really began to take shape at that time. God loves us and wants the best for us. If you read this book with an open heart you never know what kind of wonderful surprises He might have in store for you. And I pray that you will see God's plan for your life fulfilled. -- Debbie"

Sarah Searcy Craighead, while volunteering at her children's school, got acquainted with Pat, another parent who was working there, and who also happens to raise chickens. Sarah told her about our silkies and other exotic bantams, and Pat wanted to see them. When she came over, she immediately decided she must have some of these, too; so we ordered a box of 25 to share. God was not mentioned. When the baby chicks arrived I telephoned Pat and she came over; we divided the chicks and chatted about how cute they were. Still no mention of God. But as she went out the door I said, "I wrote a book, sort of a spiritual autobiography -- would you like a copy?" Of course she said she would, and departed with her dozen chicks and a copy of Green Apples.

She must have begun to read the book at once, for soon she said to Sarah, "I'm reading Jean's book. Weren't we always told to stay away from people like that?" and "Weren't you with them in Hong Kong?" Sarah said, "I speak in tongues," to which Pat responded, "Sarah, I never would have guessed that about you," and ended the conversation. Then she called me and in a puzzled tone said, "I can't understand about the language -- I just don't know what you mean." I replied, "Ask Sarah to pray in tongues for you." I'm glad she wasn't holding any rare china, because she practically shrieked, "You mean you can do it at will?" I explained that one can, that this gift enables one to pray perfectly in the Holy Spirit, in the will of God. She said, "Thank you," and hung up.

Shortly after this, she saw Sarah in the school office and asked her to call her at home, saying it was "urgent." When Sarah called, Pat wanted to hear speaking in tongues -- but not over the telephone. So they arranged to have tea a few days later; however, on that day all three of Pat's children were sent home with chicken pox, so that was the end of that.

I thought there is more than one way to skin a cat, so I called Pat and invited her and her husband to dinner at a posh restaurant about two weeks later. Pat was very excited about getting dressed up and going with the Craigheads and us to a nice restaurant. The night of the dinner her husband came home with influenza. The devil was winning.

I called one of the most spiritual ministers I know, Dr William Pickthorn, and told him we had repented, fasted, prayed, asked Jesus to rebuke Satan and protect us, our church the church in Hong Kong, and the Church Universal; and we had taken our stand as being children of the King and under the blood of Jesus. And we were still losing the battle. I asked Dr Pickthorn what to do. He suggested enlisting people to pray around the clock against Satan and for the Church, each one taking a specific 15-minute period daily. He began the "chain" by taking 6:00 to 6:15 am.

We have been adding participants ever since, starting in our church here, and in other parts of the state, the country and the world, from London to Hong Kong to Beijing. Although we still have a long way to go to fill up the 24 hours, we have already seen some wonderful things.

For example, Pat telephoned in desperation and said, "I can't stand it. I must talk to you but it's impossible. I work full time (didn't get home from work until 10:30 last night), I have children, a house, 100 quail and my chickens to take care of. I just don't see what I can do." I said, "Pat, the Lord wants you to have the gift so much you can receive it over the telephone." She replied, "I want it."

"Do you believe Jesus Christ is the Song of God?"

"Yes."

"Are you sorry for your past sins and any way you may have grieved Him?"

"Oh, yes."

"Are you prepared to obey His commandments and follow Him for the rest of your life?"

"I am. I really love Jesus, my Saviour and Lord."

"Then worship Him in sound. No language you know, just speak out sounds and the Holy Spirit will turn them into a language. I will quietly pray in my spiritual language as well, so you won't feel self-conscious." A minute went by. It seem forever. I suggested, "You can sing in it if that would be easier," and then I heard this beautiful song from the Lord. I encouraged her to keep praying and then hung up.

Several weeks later she telephoned and said she was continuing to pray in the Spirit. She said, "Do you know where I go to be alone to pray?" I guessed the bathroom and she replied, "No, the chicken coop!" I observed, "The chickens like it, don't they?" Pat said, "I think they do -- they're laying more eggs! Twice last week I couldn't get there and my husband noticed the drop in egg production those days, and asked me what had happened."

Also, one member of our church has experienced an extraordinary physical recovery of a personal nature, which I can't share in detail. However, one seasoned nurse, who was familiar with the type of condition involved, said that the recover is a miracle, that it is medically impossible. The eminent surgeon treating the case told the patient, "You've made medical history ... this is almost unprecedented."

So the 24-hour circle of prayer really works! Would you like to join us? Just write and tell us what 15-minute period you would like to take each day. Again, this is mutual and joint intercession that the Lord Jesus will rebuke Satan and protect your family, our family, your church, our church and the Church Universal; that He will bind him from interfering in the work of the Lord everywhere. Be sure to state the specific time, am or pm. You can pray in the Spirit or with the understanding, or both. Either way, we will be extremely grateful to you; and I know you will gain a great blessing from the Lord Himself.

God bless you and yours.

Click here for the Table of Contents

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?